Thursday 10 February 2011

Adventure #7 Le Menagerie du Jardin des Plantes


Hands down the worst zoo I have ever been to. I went with my class, it rained, there was no café so we ate sandwiches on a soggy bench surrounded by aggressive sparrows. It was pretty desolate and I'm pretty sure most of the animals were clinically depressed. I am not at all an animal lover, and am usually pretty grateful for the pvc pane that separates us, but even I wanted to set them all free.

Still, I saw a sloth, which is always a joy, and a monkey with its arm in plaster. In the photo is Nenette, a veritable celebrity, not that you'd know it from the complete lack of information and unglamorous surroundings in which she lives. I found out by coincidence that she is the star of a documentary and the oldest inhabitant of the oldest zoo in Europe. She is lovely. I'm plotting a way to dig her out as we speak...

No comments:

Post a Comment